Monday, May 16, 2011

Only When I Run

One of my life goals and ambitions is to run a marathon.  To run 26.2 pushes your body to its limits physically and mentally. Also to complete a marathon you have to be in top physical shape. It is simply put, an amazing accomplishment.  So in order to reach that goal I am going to work my way up to the full 26.2 miles by starting with a 5k.  I am running my first 5k race June 4th. I am so excited I can barely out it into words.  I have been training for about three weeks.  There is just something so addicting about running and something that happens only when I run. I feel free and strong. My mind becomes absolutely clear. I don't worry about things I need to do or things I have not done. Fear of upcoming events leave me. I become more calm and powerful with every long stride I take. The beautiful thing about running is that its only me, its my race to finish. No one else can finish for me.


 I can keep a solid pace for two miles but its that 3rd mile that gets me. I ran 3.1 miles today with a group and yes I finished but it was not easy! I really think that if I was not with a group I would not have ran the whole way. But now I know I can do 3 miles. Well I have a little less than 3 three weeks before the 5k. My goal is to run it in under 30 min. Today it took me about 40. So that's something to work towards. Oh and the picture above is of Florence Griffith Joyner or better known as Flo Jo. That girl was absolutely amazing. She still holds the world record for two events.  When I start to feel tired I try to run like her. It has not worked yet but it may one day, who knows!

-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment